Thinking about replacing your siding or roofing this spring? Perhaps you noticed drafts or leaks in your home this past winter, or age is taking its toll on your home’s exterior. The average lifespan of an asphalt shingle roof or vinyl siding is 20 years.
Addressing maintenance issues with your home’s exterior is a critical step in ensuring the value of your home in the future.
How can you tell when it’s time to update roofing and siding?
Siding Signs of Age:
- Fading and cracking. Quality vinyl siding should hold its integrity for 20 years. However, damage from the sun and storms can shorten this lifespan. Chips, peels, cracks, and excessive fading are all indicators your siding needs replacement.
- Energy inefficiency. Worn or old siding doesn’t insulate your home as well as it once did. If your energy bills are in flux, you may need new or updated siding.
- Your siding is starting to rot or warp. If your siding is starting to change shape or deteriorate, this is a clear sign that you need to upgrade.
- You find mold or other issues. If your siding is worn, water can seep into your home and create the perfect environment for mold growth.
Roof Signs of Age:
- Curling and stained shingles. These are common signs your asphalt shingles are losing their integrity.
- Sagging areas of roof. If you notice your normally smooth and flat roof is showing low spots, this probably means your shingles are allowing moisture to reach the sheathing and that is now starting to rot.
- Missing shingle tabs. This is not easy to see from the ground, but if you should notice tabs or pieces missing from you shingles it may be due to age, or your roof may have sustained storm damage from wind or hail. In either case, if your shingles are missing bits, it’s time to replace the roof.
- Water damage. Water leaking into the home from the roof is a clear sign there is damage. Whether it is a leak caused by condensation due to inadequate roof insulation, or shingles that have failed and have caused a way for water to reach your home’s interior, a fix is needed.
Glenbrook Building Supply, Inc. offers a variety of products and services necessary to support your roofing and siding needs. As with all the lines we carry, we believe in creating relationships with the best and most reliable manufacturers and offering those company’s products to you. We extend our services and products to contractors and DIY experts.
Our showroom, located in Oakdale, MN, is open to the public. For your next project, consider Glenbrook as an alternative to the big box building supply stores. We provide more advice and our products are exceptional.